Leading up to Valentine’s Day, specifically as I was looking at cards yesterday, I was considering the ways love is expressed in art: in paintings, poetry, films, books, songs. . .
That made me want to spend a few days this week thinking on some favorites in each of those genres – and so today is just THE best: it’s love song day.
There are some songs that come to my mind, from different times in my life, where they were THE love song on radio play – and may well have been a school dance theme or something as well (some of them do immediately bring gymnasium smell to my mind):
- More Than Words – Extreme
- November Rain – Guns N’ Roses
- Save The Best For Last – Vanessa Williams
- Nothing Compares 2U – Sinead O’Connor
- I Remember You – Skid Row
- I Would Do Anything For Love – Meatloaf
Those are just a few of the love songs that take me to a specific time growing up – and probably some of you as well.
As an adult, I think of the mix of songs that my husband and I gave on CD as a wedding favor.
Those love songs, our Wedding Mix, are particularly dear to my heart:
- Best Is Yet To Come – Red
- God Gave Me You – Blake Shelton
- Oklahoma Sky – Miranda Lambert
- Waiting For My Real Life To Begin – Colin Hay
- First Dance – Corey Smith
- Lovesong – Adele
- Grow Old With Me – Mary Chapin Carpenter
- Wedding Dress – Matt Nathanson
- I Will Be Here – Steven Curtis Chapman
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- Marry Me – Train
- Johnny and June – Heidi Newfield
- California Stars – Billy Bragg & Wilco
- Tangled Up In You – Staind
Of them, Oklahoma Sky, the song I chose for my husband specifically, is so meaningful to me.
This Valentine’s will be our 10th – and I’m so excited about our plans.
Not only will we be celebrating that it is the day my book is available for Amazon pre-order (Gahhh! Is this real life???), we have a livestream ticket to see my favorites, Drew and Ellie Holcomb, live at the Ryman.
I. Can’t. Wait.
There is one song in particular I’m hoping for – and I’m pretty sure they’ll sing it for ❤ Day.
While Oklahoma Sky will always be so dear to me, The Wine We Drink is the song that has my heart for our now, with us and our little cozy fam jam here in the Hippie Hut. It’s perfect. ❤
It’s in the wine we drink, dirty dishes in the kitchen sink
And the lights go out ’til the sun comes up, we are not alone
It’s in the miles we drive; never having to say goodbye
To the things we tell each other without saying a word
You are the one thing that I know.
— The Wine We Drink, Drew Holcomb
Here’s to the perfect love song. ❤
Be well, everybody. Take care of yourselves and each other.
Grace and Blessings.